As the craze of motorsports in India is gaining momentum, we have been receiving a lot of queries about how to start motorsports career. So we thought that we should bring you the collated details to start your motorsports career in India. So this goes for you!!
Motorsports in India is controlled by a central body called The Federation of Motor Sports Club of India (FMSCI). While the actual sports events are usually organized by various clubs in the country. The Guidelines, Technical Regulations, and Common Organizing Conditions are formulated, coordinated and implemented by the Federation.
We, at India also have another association called the Motorsports Association of India (MIA) which is is the Member of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) in India. It is the Association responsible for the promotion of automotive sport in India under the International Sporting Code of the FIA.
There are several types of Motor Sports events conducted by the Clubs in India. They are Circuit Racing, Rally, Motocross / Supercross, SuperMoto, Hill Climb, Dirt Track Racing, Drag Meet, Motor Gymkhana, Autocross, Karting, etc.
Update: We have also put together the List Of All Motorsports Clubs In India With Contact
How to go about it?:
- Find out the club nearest to your place of residence.
- Become a member of the same (which is optional).
- Decide in which category of the automobile you would like to take part i.e. two or four-wheelers.
- Decide what type of event you would like to start participating in. Experienced members of the club will be able to guide you in this.
What are the Qualifications and Requirements?:
- You will need the basic qualification of being over 18 years of age and possession of a valid driving license for on-road events like rallies before you go through the following formalities. However, for Off Road / Circuit Racing events, a license may be issued to a competitor under 18 years, but not below 15 years, on the basis of a strong recommendation from their Club / Team. However, for 2 wheeler unmodified class (Group D) up to 135 cc,/ Mopeds, the minimum age is 13 years. For Karting license the minimum age is 8 years.
- You also need an FMSCI Competition License which will be issued by the FMSCI only. The application / medical forms can be downloaded
- This set will consist of an application form for the Licence andMedical Certificate Forms. You will need to fill in the application form and get the Medical Certificate filled in by an approved Medical practitioner with his signature & seal.
- Complete the forms in all respects and send the same to your Club or to the FMSCI direct with all necessary enclosures and the necessary fees.
At the actual event:
- What you need basically is a vehicle to take part.
- The vehicle must have current registration and a valid Comprehensive Insurance cover.
- If borrowed from somebody, you must have an authorization letter from the legal owner allowing you to use the same in the competition.
- For any event, you also need a special insurance cover for the competition. Your normal vehicle Insurance will not cover taking part in a competition. This will have to be taken to cover the period of competition.
- Once you have decided the event in which you want to participate, write to the Club which organizes that event for an entry form.
- Complete all the data in full and send the same along with the required entry fee to the club concerned. Make sure that you have enclosed all the required documents and the entry is submitted in time.
The above information highlights the basic requirement of the vehicle and equipment to be possessed by you for entering Motor Sports. Two Wheelers and Four wheelers are dealt with separately.
So If you think that you have got that talent and can perform you can go ahead with the given details and build yourself a fabulous career in motorsports.
For more details visit FMSCI Website, MMSC Website
Let us know in the comments section below